The recipe Im sharing today is from one of my favourite food blogs Turntable kitchen.
Makes about 4 jars-worth
What you Need
- About 4 pounds of apples, peeled, cored and cut into small cubes
- 2 long strips of lemon zest
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 6 cloves
- 3-4 tablespoons of brown sugar
- 3 cups of orange juice
- Place the cinnamon sticks, cloves and lemon zest in a small piece of cheesecloth and tie it into a little pouch.
- Put the apples, the spice pouch and sugar into a large pot. Pour in the orange juice and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the temperature to a simmer, and cover. Simmer for about an hour, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the spice pouch from the apples. If you like, put the lemon zest back in (you can blend it into the apple butter and it will give it a more pronounced citrusy flavor).
- Uncover the pot and simmer for another hour to two hours, stirring occasionally (this will keep the butter from burning). If you feel that the mixture is getting dry, add in a little bit of water or orange juice. The apples will be reduced and the mixture will become more concentrated and rusty-colored.
- Use a hand blender to blend the mixture to a creamy, smooth consistency.
- Pour the apple butter into clean jars once it’s cooled a bit. Store in the refrigerator.
Enjoy and do let us know if you have any suggestion or questions.