Sparkle in Sequin this seasonBetween glitzy grandmas, pageant queens, Bachelorette parties and New Year’s Eve clichés sequins often get a lousy reputation. Sure, its shiny and jazzy, but it doesn’t have to be tacky. In fact, sequin can look extremely chic when styled in a modern way. The secret? Subverting expectations. Our favourite trick, as far as sequin dressing goes, is to replace that predictable sequin minidress with a pair of sequin pants, and keep your top casual—think a worn-out gray T-shirt, an oversized denim jacket or a cropped shirt, or pair a sequin top with an over distressed denim skirt or boyfriend jeans. Not only will you be the most effortless girl in the room, but you’ll also stand out in the sea of LBDs and cocktail dresses. So let us show you how to add sequin to your life.
- Balance it out. If you’re going to wear sequins, whether on a top, skirt, or pants, balance out the rest of your look with a solid color or with more casual pieces.
- Mind your jewelry. Since you’re basically a walking bauble when you wear sequins, it’s a good idea to keep your jewelry to a minimum. And if you choose to wear any jewelry, keep it simple—go for plain dainty rings or earrings, do not wear too many bangles or chunky gold watches.
- Pick the right shoes. Never pair sparkly, metallic or bright hued heels with sequin. your best bet is a classic black pump or nude heels as long as it’s in the same color family as your dress. Piling on sparkle on top of sparkle is just too much.
- If you are choosing Sequin pants, keep the rest of your look subdued. Shiny, sparkly pants are super chic, try pairing them with ragged Tshirt or androgynous pieces like a boxy shirt or a sweat shirt. The bottom line is that they need to be the focus and not compete with the rest of the outfit.
- Most importantly you gotta own it. A lot of people want to wear sequin outfits, but then feel like they’ve outdone themselves when they walk in. You have to flaunt it like you’ve got it no matter what happens.
Let us see some ideas to add Sequin in your outfit:
In First outfit is very casual for a college party or a night out with friends. simply pair your favourite distressed denim with an overall sequin top to add glamour, add a cute backpack and lace up heels for a playful elegance.
The Second outfit is very daring and can be over the top for most, but its a sure shot head turner for sure. Pick out the most distressed denim skirt you can find and the most sequinned and colourful sequin top to add more drama to your look put on a coat in any of the vibrant colour of your choice. As for shoes pair classic adidas stan smith’s or any white sneakers. you can add a bag of your choice but we decided to go a little more dramatic and added a pop art box clutch.
Try pairing a Shift Dress with a pencil skirt, most probably you will be mistaken for a “Fashion Editor”. Here we have paired a pastel knee length skirt with a Shift Dress added a pair of awesome graphical statement heels and a structured bag.
For the second outfit we are going for monochromatic look by paring a black sequin skirt with a basic grey Tshirt and a long white duster jacket. We have added a little surprise element by pairing a metallic silver heels which is not for faint hearted, you can also try and pair it with a white heel to keep it edgy yet making it more workable, lastly just add a black/ white bag to finish the look.
In First outfit aiming for a DAY to NIGHT look we have paired a Black Sequin Legging with a basic Black T shirt. We added an oversized denim jacket to the outfit to give it a more casual feeling, which can easily be transformed into a Night look by taking off the jacket. Add a black pair of heels as Black Sequin are rather blamed up in itself. As for bag you can replace your tote for a night appropriate clutch.
The Second outfit is for someone who prefers elegant outfits with a more daring twist. You can choose a Tailored sequin Pant and pair it with a boxy crop top in a neutral white. Add a Nude pair of heels for an illusion of long legs and a structured Bag.
Below are some of the street style inspiration for you.